The Jewish Hospital of Cincinnati has provided residents of Greater Cincinnati with superior healthcare for 150 years. As the first Jewish hospital in the United States, it was established in 1850 to fill a local need for medical care. After being located on Burnet Avenue for 147 years, the hospital moved all of its services to a suburban Kenwood location in 1997 to better meet the healthcare needs of the community.
The Jewish Hospital is currently a 222 bed, tertiary care hospital that includes a 16 bed critical care unit, a dedicated inpatient oncology unit, open heart surgery, a 19 bay emergency department, and an outpatient clinic. A nine bed transitional careunit provides care for patients whose stay is less than 24 hours.
The hospital has received the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations commendation award for three of the past four survey periods, an honor matched by fewer that 3% of the hospitals in the United States. It has residency programs in internal medicine and general surgery, which are fully accredited by the American Council for Graduate Medical Education. In addition, the hospital serves as a training site for the radiology and emergency medicine residency programs and the hematology/oncology fellowship program based at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine.
Medical students from the College of Medicine are present for a wide range of clinical experiences, including internal medicine clerkships and a variety of medical subspecialty rotations.